INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Friday, August 6, 2010

Changing Colors Tutorial by Rachel


So I have this beautiful image and these beautiful papers that I want to use with it. The problem? I don't have the correct color tones to match the paper! So this is a quick tutorial on what I do when I need to "dirty" something up/tone it down, whatever you want to call it ;0)

I color the image first with colors that match the papers as close as I can. 



The colors on the paper are pretty, but a bit muted so I am going to add a marker with a grey tone in it, in this case YG93.  You do NOT have to use this specific marker, most markers with grey tones will work, this is just the one I personally prefer.


 I don't want to touch the pink or the olive green colors because they are fine as they are, but I do want to tone down the blues and oranges and the brighter green.  I use my YG93 to start in the darker areas and do a single light layer up to the lighter areas.  On my orange I didn't want to mess with the light orange area much so I stayed away from it, but on the blue I really want to change the whole tone so I colored over the whole area.

There isn't a huge, dramatic difference, but if you look at the orange, blue and bright green they are toned down a bit and match the paper a bit better (click on pic for larger one).


I also did the same thing on the leaves of the tree on this card; the turquiose I had was just not the right shade so I swiped it with my YG93 to tone down the color a bit:



Images by Pink Cat Studio

7 comments:

bosenberries said...

thanks for the info... will def. be handy!! Cheers, Robin

Leanne said...

Hi Rachel! Thanks for that tutorial. I do the same thing for bright colors. I usually go with C00 to tone down really bright colors that don't match. MFS!!
Hugs

Donna said...

Your blog is awesome. I own a store in Thunder Bay, Canada and I have put your blog address into my email newsletters and I give it out to anyone who purchases copics in my store. Keep up the great job!

Ayana Posadas said...

This is such a fabulous trick!!! :)
Thanks so much for sharing!
Oh, and that card is gorgeous!

Alice Wertz said...

wonderful technique!! thanks for the tutorial! i'll have to try this!!

Jamie N. said...

Ooh that is a very cool tutorial, Rachel! And such a smart idea.

Dana said...

Great tip! Thanks!!